- Research In Progress
- Completed Research
- Project Profile Handbook
- Research Request Form
- On-Call Research Request Form
- Instructions Manual
- Style Manual
- Cover Page Template
- PI Travel Policy/Request Form
- Online Catalog
- Library Resource Ebook
- FHWA Region 6
- State Research Bureaus (AASHTO)
60th Transportation Engineering Conference Research Presentation - Demystifying Research
The New Mexico Department of Transportation is committed to improving transportation for the people who reside in and travel to and through our State. The Research Bureau identifies transportation needs, then develop and assess technologies, procedures and policies with the potential to meet those needs. We are responsible for transportation research, development, and deployment . . . and each aspect of our work is shared.
Deirdre Billingsley, Administrator
Office: (505) 798-6733
What can the Research Bureau do for you?
The Research Bureau offers several types of research services. Depending on the complexity of the problem or issue, we will suggest a literature search first. If needed, we may advise you to submit a Research Project Request form so that more in depth study can be done.
- Information Referral(immediate response) that directs you to the most appropriate person or section, inside or outside the NMDOT, to answer your question (for example: our staff, the NMDOT Right of Way Bureau, the FHWA)
- Literature Search(1 - 10 days) that identifies the best and most current practices used to address a problem (for example: erosion control, striping, snow fencing, toll roads)
- On-Call Research
The Research Bureau is offering On-Call Research Services for short-term, urgent research needs. On-Call research projects are designed to be low cost, limited scale, and quick turnaround. Any NMDOT staff member may request On-Call Research by submitting the On Call Research Request Form. The Research Bureau will expedite a literature search and send the request through an accelerated approval process with the C-RAC.
- Short-term Project(less than 6 months) that is conducted in-house by the Research Bureau staff (for example: overweight vehicle analysis, WIM data analysis, noxious weed management)
- Long-term Project(6 to 24 months in length) that is contracted to a university, college, or consultant (for example, queue length modeling, testing of Ultra High Performance Concrete, reducing wildlife-vehicle crashes)
- Technology Transfer(6 to 24 months) that takes existing training or technology (equipment and/or processes) and applies it to a new situation (for example: : dust storm mitigation, fiber reinforced polymer study)
- Pooled Fund Study(12 to 36 months) that combines our resources with those from several states to find solutions to a regional or national problem (for example: drainage design manual, climate change).
To propose a research topic please fill out the following form and send it to Amy Estelle (505) 798-6737.
General Research Request Form - Form can be found by searching for Research on Live Cycle.
These requests will be evaluated and ranked by the appropriate Research Advisory Committee and the Chairpersons Committee.